- May I submit a drawing, print, or collage for The Bennett Prize?
No. The Prize is intended to support and advance figurative painting by women. Your painting may incorporate additional media, including drawing, collage, fibers, printmaking, photography* and the like, but traditional paint media, i.e. oil, acrylic and tempera, must be the primary material. As a guideline, the artwork must be at least 75% painted. *Please note: The rules specifically prohibit the submission of paintings created by simply painting directly over the top of a printed photograph.
- Must I be a U. S. citizen in order to enter The Bennett Prize?
No. However, competitors must reside in the United States for at least part of the year. To maintain eligibility for The Prize, finalists must submit work for exhibition that will ship from within the United States and not transfer through U.S. Customs. The final Prize winner's solo exhibition will be held in the U.S. and all art for that show must also ship from within the U.S. These rules do not necessarily exclude international competitors. See the complete rules for more information.
- I am not a U.S. citizen, but do travel to the U.S. frequently. May I enter my work so long as it is shipped from inside the U.S.?
Entrants must reside in the U.S. at least part time on an annual basis. Ideally, artists will also produce their art while in the U.S. Regardless of the artist's country of permanent residence, all artwork must ship domestically within the U.S. to and from the Muskegon Museum of Art in Muskegon, Michigan.
- Prior to the official announcement of finalists, will you be sharing names and/or art work from artists who enter The Bennett Prize?
No. We will not share names or works of artists who have entered The Prize. We will not be previewing any entries. We’re excited to let the jury do its work and may feature the work of runners-up at a later stage in the process. For more details, read the complete timeline.
- May I submit works in pastel or watercolor?
Yes. Pastel and watercolor works are eligible, provided they meet the criteria as listed in the complete rules.